Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Jasmine Bird Watchers

Ok I've got a few of these saved up so I'm going to start clearing the vaults. Mostly I will post current synchronicities, and occasionally I may post older ones if they emerge from memory.

This one is from a few years ago. My wife Carmen and I are walking on King St. E. in Toronto. She says "I've been hearing the name Jasmine a lot lately, like 4 times. For example the other day on Angel (TV show, Buffy spinoff) there was an omnipotent goddess that took human form and called herself Jasmine." (Also named some other examples, I don't remember what they were.)

About half a block along we come up to 3 or 4 people gathered around some viewing equipment like binoculars, cameras on tripods and so on. We ask them what they are doing. They say they are watching some birds that have nested on a building. This is in the downtown core, therefore highly unusual. They tell us the birds are some sort of rare hawk part way through a migration or something, and they were concerned about them, I don't remember exactly what the concern was. We looked up at the building and we could see a large hawk-like bird, and a nest, in a nook somewhere pretty high up on the side of a big downtown building. We asked if they had a name for the bird. They told us it was Jasmine.

3 Comments:

Blogger gary said...

It seems to me that whenever I look at the digital clock on my microwave oven, the time is 9:11.

What I now realize is I look at that clock dozens of times a day. Later, I never recall the time I saw unless it happened to have been 9:11. Odds are that I will see that particular time several times a week. Odds are that I will remember the familiar time, and disregard all others.

Although I think coincidence may play a significant role, for me, some things are more related to frequency than the idea that something happened for a great, mysterious reason.

1:31 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Hey thanks for leavnig the first comment Gary. I'm with you on that point; the mind can definitely find patterns if it is looking for them. However I don't think that idea applies to this story since there is a much greater complexity of converging elements. Of course any of these stories can just be us looking for patterns within the randomness, but I think at some point it becomes more plausible to see it as something else, maybe something greater, maybe some sort of property of reality we don't quite understand.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Tronicus said...

from 'Gary'
"Although I think coincidence may play a significant role, for me, some things are more related to frequency than the idea that something happened for a great, mysterious reason."

O, thou dullard of imagination and reasoning.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home