Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Two Plus Two = ?

Just returned from the Hernia Hilton, all patched up. People come from all over the world to get their hernias fixed at this place, even the rich and famous. Rule #1 is don't be too funny to those who have already had their operations done. Laughing hurts lots. I was told that a couple weeks ago Robin Williams was a patient. :-|

I had an attack of synchronicities involving the number 2 or 22 in the few days beforehand. I thought this would lead to a second hernia being found but I don't think it did. I thought I heard the doctor talking about a second hernia during the operation, and smiled to myself beneath the codeine and demerol. However, I wasn't able to talk to him afterwards to find out if there was in fact a second one that he patched up. So who knows. I could however have a second hernia in the future sometime. I certainly hope so, then my "2" synchronicity would come to a tangible fruition.

For the record, the attack of the 2's started with a friend IM'ing me to ask if I had a babysitter who could sit for a friend of hers. I said "No I don't think so...but who's the friend." She said "It's Jacob Two-Two's children." She was referring to the guy from the book Jacob Two-Two and the Hooded Fang by Moredecai Richler, a Canadian author. Lots of Canadian kids have read this book. Jacob's thing is that he says everything twice, and he says "I am Jacob Two-Two and I am two plus two plus two years old." Her friend is the son of Mordecai Richler and was basis for the character. He has two children, one aged two plus two years old, the other aged two plus two plus two years old. I would have liked to baby sit for them, but hey, I'm two plus two plus two plus two plus two plus two plus two plus.....

Later on my mom emailed me to tell me she had a coinkidink. Turns out it occurred within a couple hours of the Jacob Two-Two thing:

"I was the Victoria College library on Thursday, at closing time, and a harried young student was at the checkout desk in front of me, anxiously trying to track down a copy of Joseph Heller's 'Catch 22'. The librarian sent her off to Trinity College where she thought she might find a copy. I came back to the apartment, settled down for tea and a read of the newly arrived 'New Yorker', and opened it at random to a poem by Kurt Vonnegut on ....Joseph Heller and Catch 22:
True story, Word of Honor:
Joseph Heller, an important and funny writer
now dead,
and I were at a party given by a billionaire
on Shelter Island.
I said, "Joe, how does it make you feel
to know that our host only yesterday
may have made more money
than your novel 'Catch-22'
has earned in its entire history?"
And Joe said, "I've got something he can never have."
And I said, "What on earth could that be, Joe?"
And Joe said, "The knowledge that I've got enough."
Not bad! Rest in peace!

- Kurt Vonnegut
"
When I checked in to Hernia Heaven, the nurse led me to room 228, bed #2. She said "Anything labelled 2 is yours." My bed had a 2 on the headboard. The closet was divided into 1 and 2, as were the bathroom drawers and towel holders.

There was another 2 thing involving a woodpecker but I think it might be pushing it so I'll leave it at that for now. Also, I vomited twice after the operation. I may never know if I had a second hernia or if those 2's were leading anywhere.

Addendum: Please continue on by reading this post.

4 Comments:

Anonymous rone said...

Um...I'll babysit for Jacob Two-Two

4:33 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Ok you're on. He pays $2 an hour.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous rone said...

ugh. fuggedaboudit.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The article was very interesting and informative for me. weight loss Read a useful article about tramadol tramadol

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home