Friday, June 03, 2005

Blindspot

A mystery of my life. The song "Blinded by the Light" by Manfred Mann. My sister and I have always been freaked out by it. I find it very haunting to listen to. As if it is haunting me in some way, but not in a way that makes me particularly scared, in fact I like it and I want to go further. It seems to hint at something in the past but it doesn't feel like it's a traumatic memory, just something I can't remember. My sister will not even listen to the song. She will turn it off or leave the room. Once my friend Dan, out of the blue, said "Hey JT, do you know that song Blinded by the Light?" I said yes, I sure do. "Why do you ask?" He said "I just received a psychic message to ask you that." Oh.

I associate with it a particular house that we lived in from when I was six to about ten years old. I strongly associate it with the time we were living there. The only other clue we have is that my sister and I both have a memory of a car at the side of a road at night. I picture a road, not in a city, somewhere further out.

A year or so later while unemployed, I decided to download the song. I listened to it on headphones and as it played I began to develop a strong headache. But it wasn't so bad that I couldn't continue to listen, and I played it two or three times. Other than the headache, there weren't any obvious reactions, or memories triggered. I looked up the lyrics on the web, since they are kind of difficult to understand.

Blinded by the light
Reved up like a deuce, another roller in the night
Blinded by the light
Reved up like a deuce, another roller in the night

5 Comments:

Anonymous rone said...

very interesting post, especially the psychic connection.

the song that haunts me from my childhood is terry jacks' seasons in the sun. although, it doesn't particularly freak me out or anything. there are a mix of emotions, sad and happy. it is one of those songs that really affects me. may have something to do with my little brother who passed away when i was younger. maybe that's what it is. hmph.

10:54 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Rone I never knew about your brother.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous rone said...

hey, i thought i told you about him.

his name was michael, and he was about a year and a half younger than me. he passed away when he was just over a year old, due to a misdiagnosis by a doctor. i wasn't even three year's old yet, but my earliest life memories (EVER) are of him.

my dad used to always play terry jacks and the poppy family albums back then. that's why seasons in the sun strikes such a chord with me.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Mungobah said...

I can't listen to this song without remembering you.

I went camping into Algonquin about a year ago. As I diddled about on a shortwave radio, I picked up CBC and very little else... and then I heard the song... and hoped you were doing well.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Mungobah said...

A flash of light.
In a car.
Someone.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home