Thursday, June 02, 2005

How Still We See Thee Lie

Yesterday on the way home I stop in at my neighbourhood book store, Books 'R' Gold. I like it because it's all new books at half price and they have a lot of good ones. I start at the science section as I usually do and spot a book called Sync: The Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order. I pick it up, for obvious reasons. I open it to a page at random. It is the first page of a chapter called "Small-World Networks". I read on a bit and it talks about the Six Degrees of Separation theory that says that everyone on the planet can be connected by six or less personal connections. As an example the author says that the president of the U.S. can be connected to an Inuit or some similarly remote person. I find this somewhat interesting and wonder how much it really holds up. 90% of the time? 100%?

I move on to a book on Atlantis briefly, then a bio of Frank Zappa which looks interesting. Before leaving I notice a book entitled Jesus in Egypt : Discovering the Secrets of Christ's Childhood Years. I am very interested and I think of how Plato learned about Atlantis from Solon who learned about it from priests in Egypt. I wonder if Jesus picked up some arcane knowledge while he was there. I leaf through it for a minute and consider reading it sometime in the future. From the amazon.com blurb on the book:

"The Bible indicates that shortly after Jesus' birth, King Herod, threatened by the adulation the baby was receiving, ordered the slaughter of male children under the age of two in and around Bethlehem. Warned of this in advance, Joseph and Mary fled to Egypt with Jesus, returning to Palestine only after Herod's death. That's all most Westerners know about Jesus' early childhood, mainly because many Christians tend to reject extra-biblical stories about Jesus, and Westerners in general often deny stories of ancient events that cannot be verified by archeology or science."

Today, I am chatting on MSN with Shanghai. She tells me an unusual piece of news. Our mutual friend Enzo has a close friend called Rob. Rob's father and uncle are Palestinian. His father, Samir Batarseh, moved to Canada where Rob was born and his uncle, Victor Batarseh, stayed in Palestine and became a respected surgeon. Victor was just elected as Mayor of Bethlehem, the traditional birthplace of Jesus. "I am sure we are going to serve this city, as Muslims and Christians," he said.

I chat with Enzo about this and he says "6 degrees of seperation".

I chat some more with Shanghai and mention the 6 degrees of seperation idea. She tells me that she is less than six degrees of separation from the Bush family, the one with two U.S. presidents:

"my first cousin, who i am related to by my mom and dad's side...her grandfather owned a restaurant in midland/odessa texas...where the bush family is from as well. when her grandfather died, george sr. sent a letter of condolence. apparently they used to eat at the restaurant and were friends."

This puts Shanghai two degrees away from the planet-killing, condolence-writing Bush family. And Enzo is 3 degrees from Jesus's cradle. And I'm one degree from them both. This seems like a good time to introduce the mp3 I posted to my website a couple days ago, and that I have been considering posting here. It is a presentation by Christian theologian David Ray Griffin sponsored by the Muslim-Jewish-Christian Alliance (MUJCA) for 9/11 Truth. Please listen (right click and "save target as" to download, or left click to stream).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home