Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Lake Monster

My family has a cottage on a lake in Ontario. My dad's side of the family has been on this lake for a long time; I'm the fifth generation. We have a cottage on an island four acres in size. It takes about 10 minutes to walk around it on the path. A few years ago Dad and I had a strange experience up there.

One night we're watching "Dr. Strangelove" on video. By the end of the movie my dad and I are the only ones that haven't gone to bed. We start to pack it in for the night. I'm turning the lights out and my dad is out on the deck. The cottage is a short walk uphill from the lake and the deck overlooks the lake. I hear my dad say something about hearing something unusual on the lake and wondering if it's a bunch of ducks or geese flying along the water. I come out onto the deck. Whatever it was has continued around the island and can't be heard any more.

Momentarily we start to hear the sound come around the island again. It sounds like someone kicking their feet in the water but much louder and it's very regular. It's going fast. We look and see what appears to be a wake go through the water. Comparible in size to the wake of our outboard boat. We can't see a boat or anything above the water. It goes by around the island.

I run down to the dock. I grab the spotlight in the boat. Dad follows me down and goes out onto the floating dock that protrudes out into the water. We hear it coming around again. Splasha splasha splasha splasha. It is maybe 20 feet from shore. I shine the spotlight at the sound and follow it. I see a wake and nothing else. It is going by fast. It goes by close to where Dad is standing. He sees the same.

It continues on away from us and at around 150 feet slows down. What appears to be a head emerges from the water. It is dark and we can't see it well. It seems to be an animal head. Dad thinks he may have seen some red on it. I can only compare it to when I have seen an otter swimming in the lake; but this was bigger, and clearly was not an otter judging from it's size and swimming abilities. It swam around in a circle and then continued off in a straight line away out of sight.

It was not a fish or duck or otter. It swam under the water and did laps around the island. It went several times faster than a person could swim, even a person wearing flippers. It had a substantial wake meaning it was large and right under the surface. While there was kicking sound, we couldn't see anything coming above the water. The regularity of the sound suggested a machine, but the appearance of the head suggested an animal. We have been on the lake for generations and have lots of relatives around. We have never heard of any sort of Ogopogo or Lochness Monster legend.

We have not seen anything of it since. We have mentioned it to some people on the lake and no one has seen anything similar. It remains totally unexplained and without a local comparison. I did see some video footage since then from Lochness where there was just a wake going around in the water and it seemed to be of comparible size to this one. When I think of the way it started right as we were coming out of the cabin, did laps around the island, and surfaced when it was still in view but not close enough to be seen clearly, I think it was trying to get our attention.

1 Comments:

Blogger shanghai said...

eek. the catch of the day? very creepy, but good post.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home